It all starts with a quest..!

Many a times, I have been asked this question by friends, people who are still not on the spiritual path, or those who are attending art of living training programs I conduct. 

They are always curious and intrigued to find out what it is that makes people come onto the path. Most usual concept is that something must have gone wrong, something that shook one away from the regular way of life, forced one to shun to face challenges of daily life and adapt to a more peaceful solace seeking, solitude filled, lonesome journey.

While many a scriptures, experiences of numerous leaders who paved a new way devised a innovative method, have described the many reasons that could lead one onto the path, yet the tendency of the mind to cling to negative leads mostly everyone to think of this one reason alone.

It all starts with a sincere question though, all scriptures, all major sermons, all revelations in the past from all the revered masters of varying faiths have one thing in common. A question that comes from somewhere deep within, demonstrating the need for a inner search, seeking of a human being to find an answer that quietens the mind, leading one to deep consolidated silence, a state in which all healing happens and life springs...!

For me it was a preparation that was perhaps initiated long long ago, way back in year 1966/67 to around 1981 when I grew up from a 2yrs tiny toddler to a school pass out. Born in Dehradun, in my maternal home town. Each summer vacation, we would find ourselves visiting the cool valley on the foothills of queen of hills, Mussoorie, miles away from the simmering heats of Ludhiana, the industrial manchester town of Punjab, better know as "Juggad" town, where even duplicate most sophisticate parts of a fighter aircraft engine can be manufactured in no time. 

My granny, mother's mother, Smt Shanti Devi was a very pious lady, a widower, I had only seen my grandfather only in his picture hanging on the wall. He was gone much before I arrived on planet earth. The family had moved from Pakistan post partition and owned a mountain in Jharipani onway to Mussoorie. This was place from where the limestone quarry business was run by my maternal uncles. It was a big joint family of 3 brothers and 5 sisters, my mother being the second eldest. Right closeby, my father built a home that was rented out, that we built with our own hands as kids, using hollow block technique that keeps the house cool in summer and warm in winters.

Amma ji as we used to fondly call our granny, was always dressed in starch white salwar kameez, a typical Punjabi Indian attire. Her chunni (drape) was always flowing as if the winds carrried it with a whiff of fragrance. She had her own Guru ji, in a far off place called Anandpur near Gwalior in Madhya Pradesh, I vaguely recollect. She was very fond of her Guru Maharaj ji as she would tell us kids the stories of her visit to the ashram and how the devotees lined up to get personal blessings of Guru Maharaj ji, how his one look was so fullfilling for many who travelled from far and wide, and waited patiently for their turn to be in his divine presence.

I would keep my head in her lap each afternoon of my vacations spent in her room, to listen to the divine stories of her Guru Maharaj ji. She had a picture of his in the home that she would do prayers and Aarti to alongwith many other deities, as a daily ritual and we would all join in small temple created for same in a small room of the house. For us it was a pure play. I had a special corner deep within, for whenever I share these events of my young days, I can feel a friendly divine presence around me, something that I now have begun to understand rather recognise very subtly. Picture of Amma ji and Guru Maharaj ji comes alive in my inner vision rather very clearly.

Of all the grand kids, I was perhaps the most fond one, extremely naughty and fun loving. I remember once she asked us to press her legs and I took it upon myself to order my team of cousins to alight right on top from feet to thighs, taking turns and suddenly it all began to feel so much fun that we started jumping all over her plump body as if we were having a mattress ride.... Much to our shocking surprise her screams were ignored and that game of ours costed her a few broken ribs we later discovered. I was made to hear all the flack my parents got because of that rather bone breaking funny incident. Really if someone asks me if I have lost my humor bone after that happening, I would jokingly say you want me to press your legs too with a wink...!

I shared a very special bond of deep affection with Amma ji, I recollect. She would hold me by my tiny hand and walk every evening to a close by temple just about half a Km from the house. It was a very cute small Ram Temple, with a deep orange Hunuman idol besides other main deities decorated in different colorful attires each day adorning multicolored fragrant flower garlands. My granny would light a lamp outside, and would pick me up to ring the temple bells a ritual I used to love doing and still do till date. Each time I visit any temple I, somehow, have to ring every bell at least 3 times, and now I know where this sanskaar (impression) got ingrained into my being. I loved the prasad temple priest would offer often extending my other hand to another handful or at times put it in my pockets and show empty hands again with a look as if pundit ji forgot to give me prasad..!

Onway back we would visit a grocery shop right next to the temple and buy my favorite pepermint candies and other eatables, including amazingly yummy round rusks at times and never forgot to share a bit of prasad with whoever I met. 

Enroute we would go to Gaushala to pick up daily milk and have loads of fun watching cows being milked and how Amma ji would scold the owner to ensure he does not deftly add any water and chided him to give proper feed to the cows. We would merrily walk right back home with her enjoying the smell and sounds of birds and insects along the narrow path lined by houses on both ends. Like a pied piper she would lead us all into a much cherished evening tour.

We grew up and our visits to Dehradun, after class 10th became less frequent. Years passed by, and one day sometime in the year 1992/93 we got a call of her demise and we all went to bid her farewell and perform last rites. I still remember her glowing face as she was laid on the pyre, touched her feet and sought last blessings. For next few years I regularly remembered her dearly sometimes missed her too then for subsequent 5 years I did not even recollect or think of her at all.


Time flew past, I grew up completed my engineering from Guru Nanak Engineering college, in Electronics and Telecommunications. Took up first job with HCL Limited, rather engineered an interview for which I was not even called somehow managed to get invited through a college senior who happened to be working there. Life moved on.....

It was sometime in the year 1996, when things began to change drastically for me, suddenly everything that was happening smoothly began to turn turtles, leading me to quit whatever job I was in at that time and sign up for a training program to upskill myself with latest German ERP product, SAP R3. An offer to move to US for an assignment through the trainee organisation did not inspire me much and I ended up joining Eicher (one of the well known HR practices Indian organisation) to head their IT function and drive implementation of SAP for largest business unit of the group. Post implementation project I initiated a group wide consolidation plan for each business unit had implemented SAP in parallel using separate infrastructure. The way I used my hidden analytical abilities and management skills to present database proposal to the steering committee almost forced them to take a decision to optimise the overall structure. A story that I would rather pend for another day or chapter. However its worth a mention here that I managed to introduce SAP B1 as my first assignment seva project when we moved to Art of Living International Headquarters in the year 2014 after handing over the national capital region and the whole country to the newly formed Modi Government. 

From Eicher, to Carrier Aircon as CIO to Dabur and finally  small training startup of my own - "Synergist" was a rather roller coaster ride. Great quick learnings. Somehow, something within was still missing. Finally the day I ended up participating in an art of living program inspired by my close college friend arrived. The first time first hand experience of Sudarshan Kriya, was literally mind blowing and deeply relaxing as if a big unseen, unknown, weight that was holding me down within got uplifted. It completely bowled me over. I was in a deep state of Samadhi for sometime (though it felt almost eternity), I can now say with some authenticity having taught the same technique post becoming a teacher as well, to over 10000 people.

What however actually gave me goose bumps was the completely unexpected vision of my Amma ji, in her white flowing dress, with ear to ear glowing smile, right hand in abhay mudra as if communicating to me.... now you have come to the right path... (ab tu theek aagaya) and merrily blessed me. It was a light body I always remember very well whenever I share this important turning point in my life..!

Till about 5 years before the year 2000 when I did my basic course (now rechristened as Happiness Program) I had not even remembered my granny. And suddenly that day her vision reassured me of her having been looking after me remotely from higher realms of consciousness at a different plane. Now whether whatever happened with me was my own doing or was it driven from a different dimension is a subject matter of speculation for some or may be research for some. However matter of fact remains my whole life took a turn for better since that day. Although there have been many ups and downs in life since then too and before that as well, the only time I treasure is the day I received a breath of fresh air through Sudarshan Kriya and that divine gratified vision of Amma ji... As if that day I felt laying with my head in her lap, she carressing my hair as she would in childhood and bringing me back the stories of Guru Maharaj ji.

My master Sri Sri Ravi Shankar ji, propounder of Sudarshan Kriya a gift to millions across the globe, the human kind, has been the reason for everything in my life ever since and perhaps through my Amma ji, her Guru Maharaj ji and many other intruments who appeared stayed or disappeared from my life. Gurudev just took over all roles, from being a friend, father, mother, guide, beloved, child (who I love to protect), God, everything, etc.

I wanted to let go everything and get into sharing the knowledge that I learnt during the program with the world. However, destiny and my master had different plans for me. I did a few trainings with some IT companies using my own module that I had developed using my own experiences from SAP implementations (that really lacked the human mindset change flavor without which I felt no system implementation could succeed). 

Eventually due to rather little business experience in training field I ended up sharing with Gurudev the brochure of my training outfit, which he just kept in the car he was sitting in while leaving post a lecture at FICCI auditorium, that I had also attended. I thought his not saying anything meant, its not something that I should pursue at that stage. Things turned around once again and I got another opportunity to get associated with Door Training International, training arm of Raytheon International, that manufactures parts for Boeing Aircraft, a rather prestigious name in corporate training circles but this time with Gurudev's approval. Through that association I gained more expertise in making out proposals, customising training content and delivery of programs to various corporate clients including Air India, Maruti Suzuki, Honda Seil to name a few.

Soon the time to apply for teacher training program for Art of Living, arrived within a year of my having done the first course, followed by lots of social service projects participation as well numerous higher level transformation programs. Everyone including the India Apex head was expecting an approval of my application. To everyone's surprise it was rejected and I without a blink of the eye dropped my desire to teach thinking if this is what Gurudev wants then this is what I would do. Even though I had literally sold off everything I had as a pre step to my move to ashram. To apply the techniques learnt and knowledge gained to get back into corporate world once again was a new twist in life. This time however before clearing my interview I happened to visit the ashram for inauguration of Vishalaskhi Mantap, an event that is clearly etched in my memory somewhere deep being first visit to my master's den. More on this sometimes later, in another chapter, perhaps...!

My interview and appointment with IBM as Advisory Professional, was no less a miracle, like my sudden visit to ashram itself. Getting a break with international IT global leader was very gratifying. As I began to get back into corporate people and projects handling, my spiritual practices and knowledge came in very handy, Each time I was able to utilise my learnings', to better manage my own emotions, mind and situations, occupational hazards, etc., my faith and desire to become full time social servant kept nagging me from within... Having transitioned Panasonic, TMobile, Vodafone, DBS, Suntrust banks, etc from onshore to offshore IT applications management services support and a stint at IBM Headquarters in Somers, New York in Strategy and Transformation Group, I eventually got Gurudev's blessings to move into social service full time. And the question how will I manage my life without any regular earning mode shook everyone in my family including my parents. Many felt I had gone bonkers, however I knew somewhere deep within that my Amma ji and my master were working overtime to bring me where I needed to be...! 

Stay tuned for more update in days to come...!

.... to be continued...



Comments

Montoo Bassi said…
Nice one. Keep writing.

Popular posts from this blog

Change Management is about breaking free, being self reliant, being you..!

GURUdom from land of saints...

Breaking Free - the flow....